Wichita, with its distinct summer charm, often inspires homeowners to rejuvenate their homes, and what better way than with some fresh summer exterior paintwork? But as the sun casts longer shadows and the days stretch out, the challenges of summer exterior paintwork become evident.
The season, while offering the advantage of longer days, also brings with it fluctuating temperatures that can jeopardize the integrity of paint finishes. Also, the unpredictability of rain can halt a project in its tracks, and the relentless sun can cause premature fading.
And let’s not forget the winds of Wichita, which can carry debris onto a freshly painted surface. Yet, every challenge presents an opportunity. With the right painting contractor, paint selection, and timing, these obstacles can be transformed into stepping stones for a flawless finish.
In this guide, we’ll look into essential tips for DIY painters on when to avoid painting outdoors. We’ll also spotlight trending summer paint shades for homes in Wichita, KS, and highlight Koehn’s summer exterior painting services for Wichita residents. Whether you’re thinking of a DIY endeavor or leaning towards professional assistance, our aim is to equip you with the insights to make your home’s facade both stunning and durable against nature’s challenges.
When Not To Paint Outside: What DIY Painters Need To Know
Embarking on a DIY painting project can be an exciting endeavor. The prospect of giving your home a fresh, new look is thrilling. However, while your enthusiasm to get started is commendable, it’s crucial to understand that summer exterior paintwork is not just about selecting the right shade or paint type.
The weather plays a pivotal role in determining the success of your paint job. Here’s what every DIY painter needs to know about when not to paint outside:
- Temperature matters: The optimal temperature for summer exterior paintwork generally falls between 50°F (10°C) and 85°F (29°C). This range ensures that the paint adheres well to the surface and dries at an appropriate pace. Cold temperatures, especially those near or below freezing, can significantly hinder paint’s drying and curing. This can lead to longer drying times, poor adhesion, and a compromised paint job that may not stand the test of time. On the flip side, scorching conditions can cause the paint to dry too quickly. This rapid drying can lead to issues like brush marks, uneven coverage, and even bubbles in the paint. If you’re considering painting in the summer, avoid direct sunlight and ensure that neither air nor surface temperatures exceed 90°F.
- Humidity’s hidden impact: While temperature is a primary concern, humidity is an equally crucial factor. Ideal humidity levels for painting range between 40% and 70%. High humidity can slow the drying process, leading to extended drying times and potential issues with paint adhesion. On the other hand, extremely dry conditions can cause the paint to dry too swiftly, leading to an uneven finish.
- Rain and wet surfaces: It might seem obvious, but painting on wet surfaces or during the rain is a recipe for disaster. Even if you’ve just cleaned the surface, allowing it to dry thoroughly before painting is essential. Depending on the conditions, this could mean waiting anywhere from 4 to 8 hours after it rains.
- Paint type considerations: Different paints have specific temperature guidelines. For instance, latex paints are best applied between 50 and 70°F, while oil-based paints can handle a broader range from 45 to 90°F. Always check the manufacturer’s recommendations before starting.
- The seasonal sweet spot: Given the challenges posed by extreme temperatures, the milder seasons of spring and fall often emerge as the best times for DIY exterior painting projects. These seasons offer moderate temperatures and balanced humidity levels, providing the ideal conditions for your paint to shine.
While the urge to dive into your DIY painting project might be strong, it’s essential to pause and consider the weather conditions. By understanding the nuances of temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors, you can ensure that your hard work results in a stunning and durable finish. Remember, patience and preparation are the keys to a successful DIY paint job.
Contact us here if you would like to find the best painting contractor for your residential or commercial needs.
A Look at Popular Summer Paint Colors for Wichita, KS Residential Properties
Now that you have a better idea of when not to paint outside, and how different conditions can affect your painting, let’s look into the world of summer paint colors. In Wichita, KS, summer presents the perfect opportunity for homeowners to engage in summer exterior paintwork, giving their homes a fresh and lively appearance.
As the summer progresses, specific paint shades become the top picks, embodying the spirit of the season and aligning with the aesthetic tastes of Wichita inhabitants. Here’s a look at the trending summer exterior paint colors that are gaining popularity in Wichita:
- Coral: This timeless and sophisticated muted coral tone embodies the warmth of Wichita’s summer sunsets. Its versatility makes it perfect for both interior walls and exterior facades.
- Marigold: Channeling the brightness of sunflowers, this sunny shade of yellow is a delightful choice for kitchens and living rooms, bringing a cheerful ambiance to any space.
- Raspberry blush by Benjamin Moore: A harmonious blend of warm-toned red and orange, this color is reminiscent of the vibrant summer blooms in Wichita gardens.
- Elderberry by Krylon: Taking inspiration from the classic lilac shade, Elderberry offers a mature and dusty twist, making it an ideal bedroom paint color or for relaxation spaces.
- Harbor Blue by Krylon: Evoking the serenity of Wichita’s lakes and rivers, this breezy shade of blue is perfect for creating a tranquil outdoor oasis or a calming bedroom retreat.
- Vintage teal by Dutch Boy: Deep and captivating, this shade of teal adds depth and character to any room. Its moody undertones make it a favorite for dining rooms and studies.
- Peachy Keen by Dutch Boy: Infusing spaces with a sense of playfulness and optimism, this soft peach hue is reminiscent of Wichita’s sunsets and sandy landscapes.
- Sky blue: A versatile and dreamy shade, Sky Blue is perfect for creating a refreshing summer vibe in any room, from bathrooms to children’s bedrooms.
- Sage green: Reflecting the lush greenery of Wichita’s parks and gardens, this serene shade of green is a top choice for homeowners looking to bring a touch of nature indoors.
- Neon orange: For those looking to make a bold statement, this vibrant shade energizes spaces and is perfect for accent walls or decorative elements.
The Wichita, Kansas, summer palette blends classic hues and contemporary favorites, reflecting the city’s unique blend of tradition and modernity. As homeowners embark on their painting projects, these colors promise to transform residential properties into vibrant and welcoming spaces, capturing the essence of a Wichita summer.
Koehn’s Offering for Post-Summer Exterior Paintwork in Wichita, KS
At Koehn Painting, we recognize the transformative power of color, especially in summer exterior paintwork. With over 35 years of expertise, we pride ourselves on delivering unmatched painting excellence tailored to the distinct requirements of each residence.
We recognize that choosing the right paint, especially one that can withstand Kansas’s diverse weather conditions, is crucial. That’s why we offer guidance on selecting a palette that not only complements your home’s architecture but also resonates with your personal style. Our commitment to transparent pricing ensures that you receive value without any surprises. Every quote we provide is firm, ensuring you know exactly what to expect.
Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Their positive feedback and testimonials are a testament to our dedication and the quality of our work. We’re not just about painting walls; we’re about transforming spaces and elevating the value of homes.
As a token of our appreciation for the trust placed in us, we’re thrilled to offer exclusive discounts this season. For every $1,000 you invest in your painting project, we’re giving back with a $100 discount. Remember, this promotion is valid for work completed between November and March, making it the perfect opportunity to plan your winter refresh.
In addition to our top-notch painting services, we provide a 1-Year Iron-Clad Warranty, ensuring peace of mind long after the paint has dried. Our commitment to 100% customer satisfaction, the use of premium quality products, and our fully insured services make us the go-to choice for many in Wichita.
So, if you’re considering a painting project, whether it’s ceiling or interior painting, we invite you to experience the Koehn Painting difference. Visit us at our locations in Newton and Wichita, and let’s bring your vision to life. After all, with Koehn Painting, you’re not just getting a paint job; you’re investing in a legacy of excellence.
If you want to learn more about Koehn and our painting services, feel free to get a quote from us.